Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
 Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon  CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram

I've seen a few other mentions of the phenomena I'm about to describe.
It is not clear to me why something like this would happen. Or what is
to be done to prevent it.

After going thru install and bulding of X based lxde desktop gentoo
OS, I'm at the stage where I would do another emerge world followed by
--depclean  or something similar.

Decided to take the @world in the two available bites; @system then
@world

My cmdline was `emerge -vaDt @system'

Showed 44 pkgs only 2 were updates and 42 were reinstalls.

Already it seemed like something might be off to have that many
reinstalls with no --newuse or --changed-use involved.

I let it run thinking it might have to do with a small list of
packages causing reinstalls.

Once that finished I ran `emerge -vaDt @world'

It showed 76 packages 2 updates 1 N in new slot and 73 reinstalls.

Further, very many of the reinstalls were packages that had just been
reinstalled during @system  Same versions, same use flags.

At a glance I could see that nearly all or all of the packages rebuilt
during During the @system run were to be done over again under a @world
run,

Surely there can be no reason for this absent some other factor like
new or changed use flags.

So what causes this Groundhog day syndrome and how does one break out
of it?