Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
 Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon  CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram

I've been trying to get fonts to load into xterm most of the day.

I'm not getting anywhere.

for example:
/usr/share/fonts shows all these:

100dpi  corefonts  encodings    inconsolata-hellenic  misc       util
75dpi   cyrillic   inconsolata  liberation-fonts      urw-fonts

Probably going at this ass backwards but it seems just about none of
thes are accessabel to an xterm

xlsfonts shows many `misc fixed' fonts that can be loaded into xterm.

But I have not found how to load any of the others.

For example: fc-list shows a whole different list of fonts.
I tried several and none of those were loadable into xterm.

Trying by there names inside the directories above I have found none
are recognized by xterm

Looking at the fonts.dir files .. at least most of those names look
familiar in the format I'm used to such as this:

   -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--15-120-100-100-c-90-iso8859-1
That one is found with xlsfonts.

Something like this from inconsolata fonts.dir file:

   -misc-inconsolata-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

  xterm -fn -misc-inconsolata-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1
    xterm: cannot load font
'-misc-inconsolata-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1'
    xterm: cannot load font
'-misc-inconsolata-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1'

trying the other kind of names there:

   xterm -fn Inconsolata-Regular.ttf
     xterm: cannot load font 'Inconsolata-Regular.ttf'
     xterm: cannot load font 'Inconsolata-Regular.ttf'

Leave it at that for the moment...

googling for hours on this I find xterm can understand a different
switch  `xterm -fa bla-bla'

However, xterm as installed from portage does not understand that
switch at all.

Some of the googling mentioned that xterm has to have that ability
compiled in, so I wondered if our xterm is compiled for that option?

And further if anyone knows what that compile option might be?

Can anyone offer some guidance here...

How to get a few of those fonts to be loadable into an xterm?