I'm virtually certain re-writing the partition table is going to require a
reboot.

BTW, over the years I've had several drives with the "over 1024" cylinder
message, and it has never been a problem with many versions of linux,
including Gentoo, so that shouldn't be a problem using any modern distro.

Robert Crawford