On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:14:26 +0000, White, Phil wrote:

> Hi Neil,

Please don't top post, it is disliked on this list.

> Well, this is a new install.
> Used Stage3-i686-20170214.tar.bz2
> There is nothing in package.accept_keywords that is currently installed
> (as far as I know - although it is possible that I might have added
> ~x86 to gcc, although in this instance I don't believe that i did)
> I have installed some packages, but removed them also (been having
> problems with perl)
> So currently, updating @world is the same as @system
>
> OK - talking this through is helping. I *have* done something strange
> here. The currently installed version is 4.9.4 (from gcc --version),
> except that portage believes that 5.4.0 is installed.
> My guess is that, since I am trying to rebuild an old system (due to a
> hard-drive fail), I have accidentally copied over files that do not
> belong. My guess is a completely useless /var/db/pkg/* is confusing the
> hell out of portage/emerge.

If you copied over /var/db/pkg you have a rather confused and messed up
system. The safest way to recreate it is probably to move the pkg
directory elsewhere and then run "emerge -e @world".

> So - any suggestions how to fix this mess?
> Bite the bullet, emerge gcc, and then do a depclean - or can I convince
> portage that gcc 4.9.4 is really here?

gcc is slotted, so emerging 4.9.4 will not touch your 5.4.0 installation,
you use gcc-config to choose which one to use. What does gcc-config -l
show?

--
Neil Bothwick

This message has been cruelly tested on sweet little furry animals.