On 14/03/2017 17:45, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Updading to kde-frameworks 5.32 breaks my desktop. So I masked it. Meaning:
>
>   =kde-frameworks/attica-5.32.0
>   =kde-frameworks/breeze-icons-5.32.0
>   =kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules-5.32.0
>   # ... and all the rest
>
> in /etc/portage/package.mask/kdeframeworks
>
> That worked for a couple days. Not anymore. Now I can't update my system
> anymore, since emerge -uDN @world aborts:
>
>   The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
>    (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
>   # required by kde-misc/kshutdown-4.0::gentoo[kde]
>   # required by @selected
>   # required by @world (argument)
>   # /etc/portage/package.mask/kde:
>   #=kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.29-r1
>   #=kde-frameworks/kdelibs-env-4.14.3
>   #=kde-frameworks/kf-env-4
>   =kde-frameworks/kglobalaccel-5.32.0
>   # required by kde-plasma/ksshaskpass-5.9.3::gentoo
>   # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.9.3::gentoo
>   # required by @selected
>   # required by @world (argument)
>   # /etc/portage/package.mask/kde:
>   =kde-frameworks/kcoreaddons-5.32.0
>   # required by kde-plasma/kdeplasma-addons-5.9.3::gentoo
>   # required by kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.9.3::gentoo
>   # required by @selected
>   # required by @world (argument)
>   # /etc/portage/package.mask/kde:
>   =kde-frameworks/kcompletion-5.32.0
>
> (This are just the first lines. The full error output is huge.)
>
> So what am I supposed to do?

Eek. That's not nice. You have masked frameworks-5.32.0 and plasma-5.9.3
packages (presumably you got all of them), and you missed something in
the huge chain that needs one or more of them. More likely, something
else needs that something, and a third something else needs the first
something else.

Yeah, with enough patience you *could* follow the chain all the way down
and mask every last bit that needs masking. That's a lot of work and
you'll undo it in a week when the desktop breakage is fixed :-)

I'd say it's just not worth the effort (unless someone else posts a
proper list they already worked out).

Probably *much* easier to deal with frameworks breaking your desktop in
the first sentence. Would you be OK to deal with that rather than try
the masking route? What's the breakage you mention?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com