On 2017-03-15, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Wed, 15 Mar 2017 21:41:41 +0000 (UTC)
> schrieb Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On 2017-03-15, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Especially people coming from Windows or DOS have problems with this
>> > feature. In the MS world, globbing expansion is done by the command
>> > itself: it will see the * literally in the parameters.
>>
>> Well, technically, that depends on what shell you're running.  That's
>> true with the command.com and cmd.exe shells.  It's not true with some
>> others.
>>
>> When back when I ran DOS (and when I run Windows), the globbing is
>> done by the shell: the way god intended.  ;)
>
> Hell yeah! :-)
>
> Tho I'd expect that globbing done by the shell won't play well with
> most traditional DOS commands. I guess those shells also brought their
> own built-in commands?

Yes, those shells came with a complete set of command line utilities
(ls, find, grep, cat, ed, awk, ...).

Under DOS, I always ran MKS Toolkit (korn shell):

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKS_Toolkit

On Windows, I use Cygwin (bash shell).  I have vague memories of using
Interix for a while, but that may have been just for the X server.

And, back in my VMS days, I used DECShell (a Posix shell and complete
set of unix utilities).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR
                                  at               makes LONI ANDERSON'S