Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:09:51 +0100
schrieb tu...@posteo.de:

> Hi,
>
> I have a smart NiMH-charger with serial port (normally used to
> dump chargeing curves to the PC).
> The chargers firmware can bei flashed with a flashtool provided
> by the vendor. The communication is via serial port. I have
> a PCI=>serial.ports-card installed in my PC.
>
> The command
>
>     file <flashing tool>
>
> results in this information
>
>     PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
>
> . As Linux user by heart I have no Windows.
>
> May the attempt to install wine and use it for this purpose
> a thinkable way or are the precoditions that way, that it
> is due to those a NO-NO...?

Flashing via serial port should be no problem from within Wine. It
requires no special driver implementation.

However, if the hardware implements its own driver behind the serial
port, it won't work anyways because on the Wine side there will be no
such driver.

So I think, it should either work or fail early without doing damage.

> Does anyone have experience with such an attempt?

I'm usually doing such things from VirtualBox by passing through the
hardware (usually USB, that's easily done from within the GUI).

VirtualBox can also pass COM ports to the VM. You may want to try that
as a second chance.

--
Regards,
Kai