On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:06 AM,  <the...@sys-concept.com> wrote:
> The rdp might work.  It would be best if I could by-pass the switch,
> since both VM's are running on the same Linux server.
>
> --
> Thelma

If you are using Windows I would strongly recommend using RDP. It is
integrated with the OS at the kernel level, and will give you the best
performance of all of the options available. Further if you are using
Hyper-V you can share resources in ways QEMU/KVM and Xen currently can
not. As a quick aside, this may get rid of your problem:
https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap. It will allow multiple concurrent
logins for Windows installations not licensed as a terminal server,
and may allow you to only run one Windows guest.

Based on how your original message and comments fit together it seems
like you might not need what you originally asked about. I would
suggest that using network booting for guests is best if you have
multiple computers that will be running multiple guests each and you
want to centralize storage somewhere. Otherwise, use QEMU's options to
copy-on-write with frozen boot media:
https://www.unixmen.com/qemu-kvm-using-copy-write-mode/. There are
other options which allow you to tweak behavior in the command for
running qemu-system or to use raw block devices.

Lastly doing any of this with Windows guests may be against
Microsoft's licensing terms. I don't know and I've looked into the
issue, as have other people; in all honestly Microsoft's lawyers might
not even know. What I do know is that if you want to support Windows
network booting and authentication (network booting and startup has
licensing as a core component, surprise!) you will need to do it their
way which involves, possibly, using their automatic installation tools
and running infrastructure servers like Domain Controllers. If all you
want to do is install Windows, however, you might look at this
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2008.07.desktopfiles.aspx.
At the very least it might give you more information to go on.