On Tuesday 18 Apr 2017 09:17:24 J. Roeleveld wrote:

> If you are certain you don't have gcc in slot 5.x installed. You can add
> palemoon to /etc/portage/package.unmask
>
> That will override the package.mask from the overlay.

This looks pretty conclusive to me:

$ eix -eI gcc
[I] sys-devel/gcc
     Available versions:
     (2.95.3) ~*2.95.3-r10^s
     (3.3.6) ~3.3.6-r1^s
     (3.4.6) 3.4.6-r2^s
     (4.0.4) **4.0.4^s
     (4.1.2) 4.1.2^s
     (4.2.4) ~4.2.4-r1^s
     (4.3.6) 4.3.6-r1^s
     (4.4.7) 4.4.7^s
     (4.5.4) 4.5.4^s
     (4.6.4) 4.6.4^s
     (4.7.4) 4.7.4^s
     (4.8.5) 4.8.5^s
     (4.9.3) 4.9.3^s
     (4.9.4) 4.9.4^s{tbz2}
     (5.4.0) ~5.4.0^s ~5.4.0-r3^s
     (6.3.0) **6.3.0^s
       {altivec awt boundschecking cilk +cxx d debug doc fixed-point
+fortran gcj go graphite hardened jit libssp mpx mudflap multilib +nls nopie
nossp +nptl objc objc++ objc-gc +openmp +pch pie regression-test +sanitize
ssp vanilla +vtv}
     Installed versions:  4.9.4(4.9.4)^s{tbz2}(01:21:29 01/04/17)(cxx
multilib nls nptl openmp sanitize vtv -altivec -awt -cilk -debug -doc -
fixed-point -fortran -gcj -go -graphite -hardened -libssp -nopie -nossp -
objc -objc++ -objc-gc -regression-test -vanilla)
     Homepage:            https://gcc.gnu.org/

So I'll do as you suggest - thanks again.

Unless disabling Fortran has thrown a spanner into the works, but that would
be a surprise. USE=-fortran is set system-wide and nothing's complained yet.

--
Regards
Peter