On 04/25 07:38, Floyd Anderson wrote:
> On Di, 25 Apr 17:47:22 +0200
> tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently I am using urxvt as my standard terminal
> > application, which is FAST and reliable.
> > But it only emulates 24bit colors if instructed so.
> > It maps 24bit rgb to 256 color using a fast but not
> > total correct formula to to do (which is no critism -
> > its just the way ot is implemented).
> >
> > I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
> > emulators and the one, which came closer to
> > what I want is sakure.
> > But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
> > (catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
> > of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
> > six times more time than urxvt.
> >
> > Combining this with the compile sessions, which
> > are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
> >
> > What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
> > terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
> > I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
> > TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
> > any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
> > I am simply using openbox.
> >
> > What are your experiences?
> >
> > Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino
> >
> > PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
> > of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
> > by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
> >
> I am using rxvt-unicode also as my main terminal emulator. Its true colour
> emulation bothers me also but just only a little bit.
>
> As a second one, xfce4-terminal runs here from time to time (seldom). A
> quick time/cat test with a gcc-5.4.0 log file (approximately 25 MiB) shows
> surprisingly that xfce4-terminal runs six time faster than rxvt-unicode.
> Maybe one reason is that urxvt looks for URLs and email addresses to
> colourising them.
>
> Maybe you can get a suggestion from [1].

> --
> Regards,
> floyd

Hi Floyd,

thanks for the informations! :)

A few minutes ago I emerged xfce4-terminal and tried the
cat-time-test of yesterday: 29 secondes with xfce-terminal
and 5 seconds with urxvt. Hmmmm...

You have got the reversed results compared with mine...

What the heck slows down the output of the terminals on my
Gentoo and only let urxvt shine?

Cheers
Meino

PS: I found XVilka before. That's why I asked for some experiences
of other users.... :)