On May 1, 2017 4:23:54 PM GMT+02:00, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>I have an HP inkjet printer, which I bought very cheaply on sale.
>It works well enough, but I rarely use it
>-- it mb  12 mth  between prints -- & the ink cartridge dries up.
>
>Probably, what I need is a laser printer, as IIRC toner doesn't dry up.
>There's a printer available at my usual store (Canada Computers) as
>below.
>
>Can anyone advise me (1) whether I'm correct re ink/toner drying up,
>(2) whether there's any reason to beware of the Brother model below
>& (3) if I buy it, how to I install the driver ?
>-- I'm used to using Hplip & Brother drivers may need a different
>method.
>
>Item Code : PRBR001571  Part Number : HL-L2320D
>Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer
> 30 PPM Mono, 2400 x 600 DPI, Duplex Printing, USB Connectivity
>
>Our Price CAD 99.99
>
>Brand             Brother
>Model             HL-L2320D
>Printer Type      Black & White Printer
>Print Technology   Laser
>Output Type       Monochrome
>Print Resolution   2400 x 600 DPI
>Black Print Speed  30 PPM
>Color Print Speed  No
>Connectivity      USB
>Duplex            Yes
>Max. Duty Cycle           10000 Pages / Month
>Input Capacity    250 Sheet
>Media Size        Letter, Legal, Executive, A4, A5, A6, B5, B6
>Processor         266 MHz
>Memory            8 MB
>Function          Print
>Copy              No
>Fax Capability    No
>Scanner                   No
>Scan Resolution           N/A
>Auto Doc Feeder           N/A
>Power Consumption  Sleep 0.9W/ Ready 65W/ Printing 495W
>Dimensions        47.5 x 45.4 x 33.1 cm (W x D x H)
>Weight            18.10 lb
>Cartridges Compatible  TN630 Black, TN660 Hi-Yield Black, DR630 Drum
>Manufacturer Warranty  1 Year Limited
>
>Toronto Downtown : 6
>
>http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/Printers/1/ProductDetail/HLL2320D/Specifications
>:
>    Linux driver available

Can't help you with the Brother. Others might.

I got an all-in-1 colour laser printer from HP myself after finding ink
cartridges useless again. The printer can be left for months and months and
when I need something printed, it simply works. In the past 5.5 years, I only
had to replace the black cartridge once. (Late last year).

Am looking into getting a new one that does duplex printing and scanning. Along
with sending scanned documents directly to a NAS and/or email without the use
of a computer. And the current one will then be relocated for use by family
members.

--
Joost