On 170502-10:33+0200, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > gzip apparently inconsistent behavior occupies the most part of the report
> > on
> > inconsistencies here (esp. the script make_gzip_archives_consistent.sh).
>
> Checked on my system, same behaviour, looking inside the gzip file you see
> why. I used
> shed but strings is easier:
>
> $  strings eix-installed-after_1.gz
> eix-installed-after_1
>
> $ strings eix-installed-after_2.gz
> eix-installed-after_2
>
> gzip stores the filename in the compressed file so the files differ.

No, it doesn't, on my system. Did you really check the files:
https://lists.gt.net/engine?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51651;list=gentoo
https://lists.gt.net/engine?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51652;list=gentoo
(these should download as eix-installed-after_1.gz former and
eix-installed-after_2.gz the latter)?

And they have these SHA256:

fff6f3f0f07c863fee6962379f063f742578569fd13fcee3df9161b4a6d99aa7
eix-installed-after_1.tar.gz
b88cd07885fbdc2235c9c64be7d02aa9ace7661cc2fce07909355e369366b408
eix-installed-after_2.tar.gz

If you did check those files, and there are the strings you say, at what
byte, the start, and the end... Really don't know how you got that...

> But you get different results even if you use the same file name, so digging
> into the file
> format (e.g. http://www.zlib.org/rfc-gzip.html#file-format) you find that
> gzip stores the
> MTIME (Modification TIME) in the file header, so even equally-named files
> will also differ.
>
> HTH, I did not have the time to go through your long email completely.
>
> raffaele

And for easier insight into this plight of mine with these
inconsistencies/issues, I am about to send another, I hope much clearer
email --but no gzip issue in the new email, if gzip to discuss, pls,
this sub-thread should better be used--  I resend a different email
because I need the old quotes, removed in your reply...

Thanks for caring!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia