Are you using a popular, common portage mirror or a custom or rarely used portage mirror?  It's possible, though not likely, the portage mirror you're using is a very old, rarely updated mirror (read: 6 months, I just recently upgraded my 2.6.11-r6 kernel to the newest, 2.6.13-r3 kernel).  do an emerge --search gentoo-sources.  I assume you're using or attempting to use the gentoo-sources because you make no mention of the kernel variant.  If you indeed to sync with an up-to-date portage mirror, your search results should return something similar to this:

[ Results for search key : gentoo-sources ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
      Latest version available: 2.6.13-r3
      Latest version installed: 2.6.13-r3
      Size of downloaded files: 37,672 kB
      Homepage:    http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/genpatches
      License:     GPL-2

Latest version installed, however, will probably be different.  I would also try emerging the sources manually by specifying the version:  emerge -pv =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r3
 And see what happens.  if it gives you an error saying there are no ebuilds to satisfy your request, then you have an out-of-date portage sync.

yes,  did #emerge --sync first