On 03/06/17 00:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Sam Jorna <wra...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 02/06/17 23:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> The stage3 make.conf shouldn't include this.  Now, if you copied your
>>> make.conf from some other source like a LiveCD then that could explain
>>> where it came from.  The flag was actually invented mainly for things
>>> like LiveCDs, and these are all built using USE=bindist (we couldn't
>>> legally distribute them otherwise).
>>
>> The stage3 make.conf does include USE=bindist by default, as it includes
>> packages affected by this flag (specifically openssh and openssl). It's
>> required, as I understand, because the stage3 does distribute binaries
>> of these packages, thus must have the patent-encumbered parts disabled.
>>

> Interesting.  It looks like we do set that in make.conf by default now
> - that might be a change from the last time I did an install as I
> didn't have to remove this in the past.

Indeed. I'm not sure when it changed, though it's been this way for a
while. How long that is as compared to your last build... :)

> There is no legal requirement to set bindist in the make.conf
> installed by the stage3.
>
> There absolutely is a legal requirement to set bindist in the
> make.conf used to BUILD the stage3.  The two do not need to be the
> same.

This is a good point - it's a reasonably common question in #gentoo (or,
more commonly, the conflict it can generate). I think it finds its way
into the stage3's make.conf because it's essentially just the make.conf
used by catalyst, and there's no other significant pressure to change it
since it's bare-bones already, but it might be useful to get it changed.

--
Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wra...@gentoo.org>
GnuPG Key: D6180C26