On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Walter had posted a message about ANSI codes showing up in portage output.  I
> am getting the same when I run /usr/bin/script and examine the contents of the
> resultant file with a text editor; e.g. in Vim I get:
>
> ^[[0;32m~ ^[[35m$ ^[[0mtest^H^[[K^H^[[K^H^[[K^H^[[Kecho S^H^[[K|^H^[[K$term^M
>
> but when I use less I can see:
>
> ~ $ echo $TERM
>
> Is there a way of suppressing these characters in gedit, kwrite, vim, etc.?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

The proper way to approach this is to disable coloring in the program
generating your output. If there is no flag for it, you can try
setting your terminal capabilities such that color is not supported
(e.g. TERM=xterm-old, possibly unsupported on BSDs). However for some
poorly written programs that may not work. Lastly, you can strip the
escape sequences from the output.

See http://www.andre-simon.de/doku/ansifilter/en/ansifilter.php if you
are interested in the latter option. This seems the easiest to do if
you don't mind the extra step.