On 10/11/05, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 18:32, maxim wexler wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > That min-install I was talking about failed due to
> > lack of disk space. I'm trying to install on a 3.2G
> > drive. Partitions are :
> > / of 1.47G  ext2
> > /home 1.1G ext2
> > 500M swap
> > 100M /boot reiserfs
> >

> why reiserfs on boot?
> why 100mb boot?
>
> 10mb boot/ext2 are way enough.

Except when you have more than 2 or 3 kernels for testing and need
space for those, the "default" (Gentoo Handbook) value is 38MB... But
you're right, reiserfs is not a good fs for /boot.

> And since /boot is never mounted except when installing a new kernel,
> journaling is just overkill.
> Or 500mb swap  - you can reduce it to 0 and use a swapfile.
> swapfiles are not necessary slower than swappartitions, with 2.6 kernels.

Too much discussion over this (file or partition use for swap), so, I
won't say anything.

To the question, resize is not a very "secure" operation, heh, I don't
like it because I had "issues" like having to erase and rebuild my
whole partition table (thus loosing all info, thank God had all
ebuilds and configs backed up to another drive), or having to swim
over lost+found to find files and move them to the right location.

I would use links, MHO.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil