On 15/06/2017 06:26 μμ, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
I'm trying to repair USB disk (64GB) originally formatted with ext4

I read the USB stick on Windows via some kind of windows ext4 driver now I can
not open it on Linux box.

e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
64gb: recovering journal

(just stays there and does nothing).
when I unplug it I get:

e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to re-open 64gb

If you don't need the files on the stick (as you mentioned on another post), then I'd recommend formatting it using exfat. Works on both Linux and Windows. Emerge sys-fs/fuse-exfat and mounting exfat sticks will happen automatically, just like as if it was ext4.

To format the stick you can use sys-fs/exfat-utils (it installs mkfs.exfat.) Or format it under Windows. You probably should erase the partition first under Linux though so that Windows sees all space as unclaimed. Just remember to select exfat instead of fat32 when you format it.