On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 09:44:27PM +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote

> Someone raised the issue that the "time server" option in the date
> and time applet was greyed out on their system. It turns out that
> this occurs if neither ntpdate nor rdate binaries are present, so I
> added the dep. There's been some pushback on this so maybe it'll be
> reverted or maybe not. It's being tracked in bug #621754 for anyone
> who wants to chime in.

  Not a KDE user, but some thoughts anyways.

1) If you don't have a time server, you don't have a time server.  Why
is that a problem?  Remember that Gentoo is about choice.  An "ewarn"
message might be appropriate about "missing functionality", but that's
about it.

2) Remember that Gentoo is about choice.  Howsabout a USE flag that
pulls in a "virtual-ntpserver" ebuild?  This could be satisfied by ntp
or openntpd.  There are probably other packages that might satisfy the
virtual.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>