Any way to get around this? I've already tried removing both the cjk and
xetex USE flags, running emerge -c, unmerging and remerging texlive-core
etc. I do actually want both the cjk and the xetex packages installed,
and this seems to be mostly an aesthetic issue since the version of
texlive-core I have installed is the latest (2016-r5).

I guess I'm really just wondering if my LaTeX installation is messed up
somehow and if there's something I could do to prevent errors like this
in the future.

Here's the error message:

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a
dependency conflict:

app-text/texlive-core:0

  (app-text/texlive-core-2016-r5:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
  merge) conflicts with
    >=app-text/texlive-core-2010[cjk] required by
                                 ^^^
  (dev-texlive/texlive-langcjk-2016:0/0::gentoo, installed)

    >=app-text/texlive-core-2010[xetex] required by
                                 ^^^^^
  (dev-texlive/texlive-xetex-2016:0/0::gentoo, installed)

- Lasse