On 26/06/2017 07:45 μμ, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On 2017-06-26 19:18, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Sometimes the clipboard contents even disappear if you exit the
application you copied from. Start Google Chrome. Select the URL bar.
Press Ctrl+C. Quit Google Chrome. Try Ctrl+V somewhere. It's gone. The
clipboard content you just copied from Chrome is gone.

I think this is a feature, for privacy reasons.  pass (the password
manager) does the same with passwords it puts into the clipboard.

Nah, it's because in X the clipboard doesn't contain the data, it only contains a reference to the X client the copy was made it. A paste asks the application you copied from to provide the data. That means that if you quit the application, you can't paste anymore.

However, a clipboard manager is supposed to fix that (like klipper on KDE/Plasma). But stuff stuff still breaks.

The only workaround I know to paste something into a VM guest is to copy from the host application (e.g. Chrome), click on klipper icon in the systray, click on the paste data, then paste into the VM.

And guess what? Sometimes that doesn't work either. Fortunately, it does most of the time.