"J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> writes:

[...]

> Do you have module support enabled?

Yes, or at least I have been using modules.. not sure where I would
determine if it were enabled or not.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean... it sounds as if you expect there
to be a conf file that says `enable modules = yes' or something.

/etc/conf.d/modules does not seem to have any info about `enabling
modules.

Just now to insert specific modules

lsmod shows:

Module                  Size  Used by
vboxsf                 40960  0
vboxguest             208896  6 vboxsf

> Is the /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the correct kernel version?

Yes.

> In a VBOX VM, you would normally need to compile a kernel,

And I have done so many times.

> the commands given are only needed when the sources are not used to
> compile the kernel.

What commands are you talking about?

How else would I compile a kernel but with the source?