Arve Barsnes <arve.bars...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10 July 2017 at 22:06, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>  grub-install /dev/sda Installing for i386-pc platform.
>> grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check
>> your device.map.
>>
>> Where might I find `device.map'... it isn't part of grub2.  At least
>> grep doesn't find it with `qlist grub'
>>

> As far as I understand it, grub2 will dynamically create the device.map
> when it needs it, so it doesn't actually exist as a file. On my grub legacy
> system it is installed as /boot/grub/device.map, with the only contents
> being "(hd0)   /dev/sda".
>
> How you would feed grub this information *before* it is installed I'm not
> sure, but maybe look into the USE=device-mapper flag, maybe it installs the
> grub-mkdevicemap executable.

Yeah, I tried that before posting.. setting USE=device-mapper then
reinstalled grub2... same result as without the flag.  Same error
message.

I've always .. on many installs (over time) and mostly into a vbox vm,
created a disk, then when booting the install media I carve it up with
fdisk.
/dev/sda1=boot
/dev/sda2=swap
/dev/sda3=home
/dev/sda4=/

Has something changed regarding using that kind of technique?

I can't figure out why grub would be looking for a GRUB drive on
/dev/sda1 as the error says:

  grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1