Hello list,

Today I get this:

# emerge --sync
>>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into '/usr/portage'...
/usr/bin/git pull
remote: Counting objects: 25, done.
remote: Total 25 (delta 15), reused 25 (delta 15), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (25/25), done.
>From https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
   c80ef88a736..b9cb9e0b42e  stable     -> origin/stable
Updating c5ec29f674c..b9cb9e0b42e
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
merge:
        metadata/layout.conf
Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
Aborting
!!! git pull error in /usr/portage

I can't imagine I'd ever make any changes to that file, especially not using
git, but I tried reverting to backups of /var and /usr/portage from a week
ago, but I still get the same error. Using backups from two weeks ago also
made no difference.

I sync and update every day, with never a problem like this before.

Can anyone see what else I should try? Should I just delete the offending
file? (I'll get some coffee meanwhile...)

--
Regards
Peter