> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Francisco Ares <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build a minimal Gentoo image for an embedded appliance.
> > Everything - AFAIK - works good, but I need to key in Ctrl-Alt-F5  /
> > Ctrl-Alt-F7 a couple of times  (F5 is just an example, just have to
> switch
> > off of X and back again), just then X shows up.
> >
> > I have removed a lot of packages, in special the ones used in
> development.
> > GCC is still there, though.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I know this is hugely vague, but, who knows if someone out
> there
> > hasn't gone through this before?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Francisco
>
> What is the hardware? Are you sure X is starting as quickly as you
> assume it is? Are you using the software rasterizer? I have
> experienced similar issues intermittently on my RPi/RPi3 but not
> regularly enough to diagnose it.

Thanks for answering.

The hardware is a x86-64 mini-ITX board, nothing unusual.  Besides this,
I'm working also in a Odroid XU-4, but this is not the issue.

I'm using regular X11 video drivers, as this board has a regular Intel
chipset.

Explaining a bit deeper:

There is a development equipment, with dozens of development aids. As I
don't want those in the disk image for production equipments, I have
managed to do this by making a copy of the working root partition
directories and files, remove portage related files and directories from
this copy and, using the working partition as reference, rip-off unneeded
packages files, like this:

for i in `equery -C f dev-qt/qt-creator` ; do if [ ! -d "$i" ] ; then rm -f
/mnt/aux/gentoo/$i ; fi ; done

Where /mnt/aux/gentoo/ contains that mentioned copy of all files of the
development root partition.

The package "dev-qt/qt-creator" is just an example, there are several
others which have their files removed from the copy of the root partition.

Thanks and
Best Regards,
Francisco