On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM, R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.fi...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Helmut Jarausch:
>>
>>>I'm running linux-4.12.7-gentoo with Virtualbox
>>>BUT you need app-emulation/virtualbox and Co in version 5.1.26
>>
>> Hm. My Gentoo is mostly stable. That would mean to add virtualbox to the
>> unstable part. Hm.
>>

> On Gentoo I have found it fairly normal to switch to unstable (or
> unkeyworded) packages to fix issues.
>
> I don't want to change the subject too much, but I've fond QEMU a
> decent replacement for VirtualBox. It takes some set up at first but
> is fairly rewarding and easy to manage. I don't suggest using libvirt
> on Gentoo, but some people do. The main difference with not using
> libvirt, besides managing QEMU flags and VM startup yourself, is that
> spice doesn't work (the non-libvirt spice viewer has longstanding
> bugs, namely a particularly annoying one related to being unable to
> exit out of fullscreen mode). Depending on your usecase setting up
> remote access from within the OS of your VM might give you a better
> experience - you might even try that if you continue using VirtualBox.

Another option is KVM.  I do suggest using libvirt, and found that
app-emulation/virt-manager gives you a lot of the benefits of
something with a pretty GUI like Virtualbox, but it is 100% FOSS
underneath and you can run it all from the command line too.  It is
just a front-end to libvirt.  There are no issues with running these
VMs as services also, and I believe that you can connect to their
consoles at any time with virt-manager.

I can't really compare it in detail to qemu as I've barely used the
latter, and mainly for emulation.  Honestly, I rarely even use KVM
these days as I've almost entirely moved to containers.

--
Rich