On Wednesday 12 October 2005 07:39, Dave Nebinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 12:58 am, Francesco Talamona wrote:
> > Yesterday, after python update (dev-lang/python-2.4.1-r1), emerge
> > refused to work, I had to comment both lines in
> > /etc/portage/modules and reemerge dev-python/python-cdb.
> >
> > It wasn't a stopper,  but it worth mention.
>
> That was the part I mentioned earlier.  I think if you caught the
> note to run python-updater after the python upgrade it would have
> covered this.
I missed both your point and the note during emerge :-)

> Basically what happens is that, without running python-updater,
> you've got a number of python packages installed in
> /usr/lib/python-2.3/site-packages (or something like that).
>
> After the python 2.4 upgrade, those packages are no longer available,
> as 2.4 is looking for them in /usr/lib/python-2.4/site-packages (or
> whatever).
>
> Running python-updater is supposed to get those old guys moved from
> 2.3 to 2.4 so everything works.
>
> Unfortunately if that message about running python-updater floats by
> in the middle of updating a bunch of packages it is easy to miss, and
> before you know it you think your system is majorly screwed.
Luckily I wasn't scared and recovered my system in 3 minutes. I was
checking what packages would be installed with a new program when
emerge stopped to work; in the meantime in another shell world update
was still running happily. It was very easy to find out the guilty
one :-)

Now python-updater is running, it found a lot to do...

> I posted a message to gentoo-dev asking for an enhancement to portage
> that would collect the messages generated in the pkg_postinstall
> phase and re-report them after all packages have completed.
> Fortunately it is already an enhancement that is on the list, but
> it's not clear when it will be released.  In the meantime I'm going
> to check out ENOTICE
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~eldad/ to see if it will work as a short-term
> solution.
This matter is a long lasting request, IMHO it is come the time for
Gentoo to make this evolutive step. I saw other source-based distros
making an HTML file of compiler output long ago: when you install
something only important messages are outputted, all the details are
easily readable with a browser. But it is just one of the several
possible ways to manage this important feature.

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
2005