On Sun, 2017-08-20 at 11:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I'm seeing changes in 4.12 too and haven't bothered looking further
> as
> 4.11 still works for me. My external monitors and USB keyboard &
> mouse
> on laptops stopped working with 4.12 and other silliness which I
> forget.
>
> My techie spidey-sense is telling me it all smells a lot like someone
> tidied up .config and things moved around, so make oldconfig got
> confused.

Correct.

Old Intel host here. No lock-ups but I had also USB-related problems
with 4.12 till I set this (new) option in kernel config:

CONFIG_USB_PCI:
A lot of embeded system SOC (e.g. freescale T2080) have both PCI and
USB modules. But USB module is controlled by registers directly, it
have no relationship with PCI module.

When you enable the above you get the next one:

CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD:
The Universal Host Controller Interface is a standard by Intel for
accessing the USB hardware in the PC (which is also called the USB
host controller). If your USB host controller conforms to this
standard, you may want to say Y, but see below. All recent boards
with Intel PCI chipsets (like intel 430TX, 440FX, 440LX, 440BX,
i810, i820) conform to this standard. Also all VIA PCI chipsets
(like VIA VP2, VP3, MVP3, Apollo Pro, Apollo Pro II or Apollo Pro
133) and LEON/GRLIB SoCs with the GRUSBHC controller.

The first option's help line is a bit misleading, my system is not an
embedded one but without UHCI I don't have any USB working. In 4.11 and
earlier USB_UHCI_HCD was not tied to USB_PCI and that's why make
oldconfig messed up in my case.

bye,

raffaele