TL;DR: re-sync and you should be fine.

On 08/20/2017 12:36 PM, allan gottlieb wrote:

Not sure I understand.

1.  I should have been more complete about the command I run
MAKEOPTS="--jobs=8 --load-average=5"
   emerge --ask --deep --tree --jobs --load-average=5 \
          --update --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

2.  I do not have "ruby" or "RUBY" anywhere in the tree rooted
     at /etc/portage

Cool, that makes it easier.

3.  emerge did not offer to upgrade RUBY_TARGETS does
     not seem happy with ruby21 since the emerge output includes
     [ebuild   R    ]    dev-ruby/test-unit-3.1.9  RUBY_TARGETS="(-ruby21%*)"
     [ebuild   R    ]    dev-ruby/rdoc-4.2.0  RUBY_TARGETS="(-ruby21%*)"
     [ebuild   R    ]    dev-ruby/minitest-5.8.4  RUBY_TARGETS="(-ruby21%*)"

RUBY_TARGETS is set in the profiles that are part of the portage tree.

4.  I synced the tree today just before the emerge.  Might I have picked
     up an inconsistent tree and hence should I resync?

Hans de Graaff replied a bit ago; it looks like RUBY_TARGETS in the profiles were not updated after ruby-2.1 was masked. If you re-sync, you should be able to go forward with the update.

6.  I have NOT done the eselect ruby set ruby 22.

As Hans also mentioned, the upgrade itself will not automatically run the eselect command - my bad. Once you do a depclean and ruby-2.1 is removed, eselect will be run to set the system ruby version to 2.2.

Alec