On Wednesday 12 October 2005 08:17 pm, Alexey Asprov wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:21:08 -0400
>
> Dave Nebinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 October 2005 01:54 pm, Alexey Asprov wrote:
> > > Hi list again..
> >
> > Hello Alexey.  Just a quick FYI: Your timezone does not appear to be set
> > correctly; I can tell because your sent time is in the future ;-)
>
> Hello Dave. Why this can be so important? Yes, I set my local timezone
> to GMT. If it won't harm the system, who cares? Or, does it harm?
> And yes, I am in st.Petersburg (Russia), but I coudn't find any
> relevant timesone when I've installed Gentoo for the (3)rd time
> and thoght this would be fine. Does this interfere with my using
> and compiling the system?

Well, spamassassin flags the messages because they have the date in the
future.  I've got a rule allowing messages from the list so it goes through,
but some sites might block your email whether you know it or not.

>From your local system perspective, no it really doesn't matter.  But being
part of the internet means that you should be playing by internet rules,
therefore having the right time/date for the system.

As far as compiling goes, it wouldn't matter either.  I'd worry about the
rsync process as, since you are in the future, the timestamps from your local
system and the remote rsync mirror might indicate to your system that you're
newer than what the mirror thinks.

Enough preaching, I was just pointing it out in case you weren't aware.

> I have only found exaple with "working" ( as athour claims) USE flags for
> "working"bootstraping . If you feel that some packages will hogtie, please
> advice on what USE flags have to be removed ( or added).

Well if you're not running X you can slim down quite a bit.  The list you
included has all multimedia and stuff for more of a desktop system.  My
server box has a much shorter list:

USE="-mbox -gnome -kde -X atm maildir cdr bzlib curl -emacs exif fam ftp
gnutls -ipv6 kerberos libwww mime mmap mmx mng nptl pcre pic php perl sockets
sse ssl sysvipc posix sasl shared sharedmem usb mysql xml cups pam imap aac
apache2 bash-completion berkdb bidi bzip2 canna caps cjk clamav cpdflib crypt
dbus dbx dio ethereal examples expat flac freewnn gd gdm javascript ncurses
nls png jpeg junit ldap libclamav mcve ming openntpd mysqli nas netboot
openal tcpd spl spell snmp sockets soap python samba vhosts xml2 zlib"

> > Use emerge --pretend to see what kind of results you'll actually get.
>
> Not sure what do you mean by that. Emerge -pv just estimating what packages
> have to be emerged.

It will show all of the dependencies as well as the package.  For example, you
had gnomedb in your USE list, but -gnome also.  If you emerged a package that
used the gnomedb flag, but gnomedb has dependencies upon gnome, you're either
going to be looking at a  nasty message about a blocked package, the package
won't install, or you'll get gnome anyway (note this is just an example, I
don't know for sure what the gnomedb flag would incur).

> Thanks for your response, but probably some one added to USE flags in
> make.conf? And how did it go in bootstrapping? Also, to rephrase my
> original question do I have include all of them or only mmx, sse, mtrr as
> Dave suggested?

I did include them in my USE flags.  I don't have any clue what, if any,
effect they have on the system.  Many of the USE flags have descriptions
available, but I haven't seen any sort of cross-reference that says when USE
flag X is set, Y happens as a result.

I look at these as clarifying the base system architecture, but do not have
the same kind of impact as gnome/-gnome would have.