On 04/09/17 23:58, Grant wrote:
I'm getting strange results from xdpyinfo.  I always get 96x96 DPI and
the screen size changes along with the resolution.  When I run 'xrandr
--dpi 200x200' and check xdpyinfo, it reports correctly.  But if I log
out and back in to xfce4 without doing anything else, it gives me
96x96 again.

XFCE is probably forcing 96DPI by default. This is usually done by desktop
environments that don't support DPI scaling very well. I just found this
(sort of flame-war-ish) thread:

   https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7734

and indeed XFCE doesn't seem to have very good support for this. Maybe you
can find some of the settings listed there useful though.

Other than that, if you want working DPI scaling, you'll have much better
luck with KDE 5 / Plasma.

Won't I freak out if I'm an xfce4 guy and I try to switch to KDE?  Is
there a better choice for HiDPI migration for people who like xfce4?

You could try LXQt, which is the upcoming replacement for LXDE. It's Qt-based, so DPI scaling *should* work well (no guarantees, didn't try it myself yet.) And its desktop philosophy is more similar to XFCE, meaning minimalist, non-bloated UIs.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just try all of them using live-CDs/USBs from various distros, and see what works best. LXDE, LXQt, Gnome, KDE, Budgie, those seem to be the main ones right now.