Jorge Almeida schreef:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
>

>> Jorge Almeida schreef:
>>
>>> It seems it's a known bug. I emerged nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
>>>  with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" and it works now.
>>>

>> Glad that worked for you, but please now remember to add
>> nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx to /etc/portage/package.keywords as
>> allowed to be ~x86, or else Portage will try to downgrade them the
>> next time you do an emerge world-- ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on an emerge
>> command line is only *temporary for that emerge*, and *is not
>> remembered permanently by Portage*.
>>

> I don't know if it's a good idea, in this case. After all, the
> current masked version will be unmasked one day, and I may not need
> always the bleeding-edge version (I'd rather use stable things, if
> they do the job). But I always issue emerge -pv before emerging
> anything, so a possible downgrade would be detected in advance.

Yes, I understand you-- but what then are you going to do when the
downgrade is detected?

You won't have a choice but to downgrade; if you try masking packages
lower than the current one, you'll get an error saying that all
available packages are masked, and if you do downgrade, your X will be
broken again until you re-emerge the unstable version with
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line-- EVERY TIME you do an emerge
(-whatever) world.

Is that what you want?

The solution for your stated preference is to unmask the packages'
keyword in /etc/portage/package.keywords, and mask all versions of the
package above the one you have now, so that they do not appear if an
update occurs and you do not want to update to a further unstable version:

#echo 'media-video/nvidia-kernel ~x86' >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
#echo 'media-video/nvidia-glx ~x86' >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
#echo '>media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676' >>/etc/portage/package.mask
#echo '>media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-r1' >>/etc/portage/package.mask

You would of course have to keep an eye on the Portage tree so you would
know when to remove the masks and unmask entries, but you could get
through your daily life without having to re-emerge everything all the time.

Hope this helps,
Holly