On Monday, 11 September 2017 19:18:30 BST Stroller wrote:
> > On 11 Sep 2017, at 18:49, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > …
> > "The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore.
> > In order to unlock switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2),
> > log in and execute the command:
> >
> > loginctl unlock-sessions

> > If this is a default Gentoo installation with openrc, why does a default
> > plasma desktop screenlocker comes up with this nonsense?
>
> Is it possible some of your KDE components were emerged with USE="systemd"?
>
> Try something like `emerge -pN world`?
>
> Stroller.

Thanks Stroller, but no, this PC never had any systemd component, on purpose:

# emerge -pN world

Calculating dependencies... done!

I had disabled USE flag 'systemd' in make.conf as soon as this flag was
established:

$ euse -I systemd
global use flags (searching: systemd)

local use flags (searching: systemd)
[- c    ] systemd (dev-qt/qtcore):
Enable native journald logging support

[- c    ] systemd (media-sound/pulseaudio):
Build with sys-apps/systemd support to replace standalone ConsoleKit.

[- c    ] systemd (sys-apps/accountsservice):
Use sys-apps/systemd instead of sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking

[- c    ] systemd (sys-apps/busybox):
Support systemd

[- c    ] systemd (sys-apps/dbus):
Build with sys-apps/systemd at_console support

[- c    ] systemd (sys-auth/pambase):
Use pam_systemd module to register user sessions in the systemd control group
hierarchy.

[- c    ] systemd (sys-auth/polkit):
Use sys-apps/systemd instead of sys-auth/consolekit for session tracking

[- c    ] systemd (sys-fs/udisks):
Support sys-apps/systemd's logind

The interesting thing is I never enabled screen locking, so plasma ought to be
running with default settings.  If such a setting causes the session to become
inaccessible it should have been disabled by default.  There may have been a
warning about it in the past, but I can't recall it.

The funny thing was the user thought her machine was being hacked!  o_O

I tried to pacify her by explaining that without systemd stack the attack
surface should be smaller.  ;-p
--
Regards,
Mick