On 12/09/2017 05:43, tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> got a problem this morning:

>  * Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
>  *  Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
>  * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4::gentoo failed (pretend phase):
>  *   aborting to save your system
>  *
>  * Call stack:
>  *                ebuild.sh, line 115:  Called pkg_pretend
>  *                ebuild.sh, line 348:  Called toolchain-glibc_pkg_pretend
>  *   toolchain-glibc.eclass, line 507:  Called die
>  * The specific snippet of code:
>  *                    die "aborting to save your system"
>  *
>  * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info
> '=sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4::gentoo'`,
>  * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv
> '=sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4::gentoo'`.
>  * The complete build log is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4/temp/build.log'.
>  * The ebuild environment file is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4/temp/die.env'.
>  * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4/homedir'
>  * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.24-r4/work/glibc-2.24'
>  * Determining the location of the kernel source code
>  * Found kernel source directory:
>  *     /usr/src/linux
>  * Found sources for kernel version:
>  *     4.13.1-RT
>  * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>  [ ok ]
>  * A preallocated buffer-size of 2048 (kB) or higher is recommended for the
> HD-audio driver!
>  * CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE=64
>
> I would interpret this as:

Looks to me like you are assuming the glibc maintainer has more
knowledge of the future that he/she actually has.

> In the past emerge had updated glibc to a higher version as it want it
> to install now and prevented the latter becayse it would be downgrade,
> which in turn would render my box useless.

No, not useless. It's a safety check for just in case. And now you must
bypass the checks

> But why updateing to higher version in the first step

Because you had a valid ebuild in the tree that said to do it ?

....or attempting
> to downgrade now?

Because now you don't have that valid ebuild anymore?

> And finally...ANy update is blocked for now it seems...how can I get
> out of this?

Why is glibc wanting to downgrade? What is your current version?

both of these versions are in the tree: (~)2.24-r4^s (~)2.25-r4^s
so there is at least 1 glibc higher than what portage wants to downgrade to.

You need to find out why 2.25-r4 is not being used. Usual tools, e.g.:

grep -r glibc /etc/portage
and any other methods you prefer

As a last resort if the ebuld maintainer screwed up, you can bypass the
safety check. Edit ${PORTDIR}/eclass/toolchain-glibc.eclass and comment
out the check in
toolchain-glibc_pkg_pretend()

This is unlikely to destroy the system. Cause a problem - maybe. Destroy
it? No. The wording of the safety check is hugely over-dramatic to
discourage people from downgrading willy-nilly without thinking

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com