On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 23:38:48 BST Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 23:16:07 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 18:07:20 BST Mick wrote:
> > > Another little problem I came across with Plasma is that neither the
> > > keyboard, nor the spell checking respects the locale, L10N, or
> > > anything else I have set up.  systemsettings5 shows en-GB as the
> > > selected language and keyboard, but (I think) a US keyboard layout and
> > > spell checking language is used instead.
> >
> > In what applications, Mick?
>
> Kate, Kmail, Firefox, et al.

In KMail, you need to set the language in your Identity, under Advanced.
KMail ignores the system-wide setting, and so does KWrite. In Firefox, as
far as I can remember the language was already right. I don't use Kate; in
fact, it seems not to be present. Libre Office seems to associate its
language with each document.

> > > Is this another systemd-R-us imposition, or is there a way I can set
> > > it up so that Plasma & friends respect the default environment
> > > settings?
> > >
> > > $ env | grep LANG
> > > LANG=en_GB.UTF8
> >
> > I have en_GB set up and apparently working. I haven't done anything in
> > particular to the environment, just used applications' setup.
>
> The keyboard layout works fine on console and other desktop environments.
> It is just Plasma I noticed is not collaborating.
>
> Are you also running Plasma with openrc?

Yes. Here are my language settings:

$ env | grep LANG
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB

$ grep GB /etc/portage/make.conf
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_GB.UTF-8"
L10N="en-GB en"
LINGUAS="en_GB en"

You haven't been caught by that L10N trap, have you? The hyphen where you
would expect an underscore?

--
Regards,
Peter.