Am Freitag, 15. September 2017, 19:56:54 CEST schrieb Andrew Lowe:
> Hi all,
>       I posted about a nasty infection my machine had with three versions of
> Ruby a few days ago. In the process of trying to fix that I noticed a
> thingy called "thin-provisioning-tools". I don't have anything thin and
> I don't provision anything so why I ask?
>
>       From what I've been able to understand, it's something to do with
> Device Mapper, snapshots and "many virtual devices to be stored on the
> same data volume". This is all just jibberish to me and I have no idea
> as to why this has suddenly appeared in my world update. I haven't asked
> for it. I don't use any of the "more advanced" thingies such as lvm2 etc
> so does anyone have any idea as to why I've now go this to install?
>
>       Back to Ruby killing now,
>               Andrew

Based on what I've researched for the other sub-thread, since you don't
actually use LVM, then -- unless you set the wrong USE flags -- you probably
have udisks:0 installed (it has an unconditional dependency on lvm2).  Use
"emerge --depclean -pv lvm2" to find out for sure.

If it is udisks:0, then AFAICT you can get rid of it with appropriate USE flag
settings ("equery depends" is your friend here).

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup