Hey, you fixed it (sort of)!

I tried your suggestions but diverted a little bit. Basically here's what
happened:

* depclean did nothing (except remove a few Thunderbird dependencies I actually
needed, whoops)
* `revdep-rebuild` also found nothing
* `ldd` gave /lib/libz.so.1.2.11
* I noticed that /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2.7 existed as well and proceeded to delete
it
* Re-emerged both libz and libpng, Thunderbird build still failed
* Decided "let's delete /lib/libz.so.1.2.11 as well" (bad idea I know, I just
barely recovered from that)
* After replacing libz from the stage3 tarball, re-emerged libz

Aaaand then it just worked, I must admit I'm not entirely sure why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to support me here!

--
Regards,
Christoph