There are other schedulers out there that succeed where cron fails (eg

Control-M, chronos, quartz), but those are all large, bulky, designed

for big complex installs/requirements and probably not suited for

simple

things you'd deploy out of a base in portage

Long time ago I decided to use fcron only. The reasons doesn't matter, but thus I can talk about fcron only. But you are right, there are a lot of others. At least I tried to answer Ian's question as exact as possible. I realized the inaccuracy in it too. Wasn't it to me? Than
sorry for the noise.

cron is stupid and deliberately so. We really ought to let it remain

stupid

The decision what have to be done MUST be made by the user/sysadmin

first. Than you can do the config to reach your goal. But that does go

to far now.

+1 agreed.

I've always maintained that cron cannot possibly know what the scripts

it launches deem to be correct. It's a countdown time and launcher, not

an orchestrator. It can figure out what to do if 2am happens twice

(just

don't do it the second time), but not what should happen if 2am was

missed for any reason, including DST or poweroff or overeager ntpdate

The simplest approach to fixing missed jobs is to have the script

itself

track what is correct. If it's lock and records files indicate

something

didn't happen when it should, the script can do it's own repair or do

it's work twice. Or whatever else is appropriate.

@Alan, I like your writings. Unfortunately I'm not able to do so, thus
my (very seldom) answers are sometimes to short. ;-)

OT: Seems that since the last update of my MUA the formatting of my mails is broken - at least at reply's. There are extra line breaks.
Grrrr - if you not do everything by yourself ...   ;-)

--

Sent with eQmail-1.10