On 18/11/2017 23:36, Damo Brisbane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wanting to have continuously running ansible daemon to push out
> desired state to some servers. I do not see such functionally covered
> within readme (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ansible). Am I correct to
> assume that if I want to run ansible as a daemon, I will have to set up
> [if I want] *ansible user*, init.d/ansible rc script?
>
> Also note I haven't used Ansible in production - I am assuming that
> running as a daemon is best for this scenario.

You assume wrong. Ansible is not a daemon, it does not listen and cannot
be a daemon. When you need ansible to do something, you give it a play
to run and it does it. Then the play ends and the command quits. There
isn't really much scope for having ansible "continuously run", it does
not know when you have changed things that need updating - only you know
that.

I think you want Tower or AWX or even rundeck, those are
scheduling/controlling/orchestration wrappers that can fire off ansible
jobs.
As a last resort you can always add a cron to run an overall site.yml
play every X hours or so

Are you coming from a puppet/salt/chef world? If so, the one thing to
always keep in mind is this:

Ansible is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Puppet.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com