On Monday, 27 November 2017 17:10:26 GMT Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
> Is Skype "largely unusable" on Gentoo?  It feels like about 3 days ago I
> was forced to upgrade because "this version is no longer supported" and
> to upgrade I had to keyword the latest version.  If this keeps
> happening, to me, this is broken.  And I'm not sure if the problem is
> that we are so far behind, that when Microsoft removes support we only
> just barely meet the requirements, or if there is something I am missing.

Both versions of net-im/skypeforlinux are keyworded at present.  I don't know
if they've been on the tree for more than 30 days, without any bugs reported.
I'm using 5.5.0.1 at present and have not noticed any problems, but my use of
it is rather limited.

> I *do* like to keep my computer updated, but unless I misunderstand (and
> it seems that Gentoo has changed a lot since I started using it about
> 15-20 years ago (I think)) stable is the recommended way to run the
> system unless you want to go into "here be pesky programmes" territory.
> When I started, even "stable" was a lot more work than previously used
> distributions, but with Gentoo, I've always felt that with Gentoo, while
> doing "basic stuff" can be more difficult, other distributions have
> always been "if it doesn't work out of the box, it's probably not that
> worth trying to figure it out."

>From what I recall 'stable' means no bugs reported in the last 30 days.

> I still feel that getting things working in Gentoo is always "a bit of
> work" and if it "doesn't just work" it often still can be done without a
> whole lot more work.  But having to upgrade in a "manual way" on
> approximately a weekly basis just to have functionality tells me that
> something is badly broken (and I don't feel it is Gentoo in this case,
> but I need to have some better understanding).

Yes, Gentoo is more work than any point & click to install/maintain/upgrade
binary distro.  This is the nature of the beast, but you probably know this if
you've been using Gentoo for all these years.

> I know, that when I was trying to figure out just "what was supported" I
> actually wasn't getting good information...

My understanding of Linux and Gentoo in particular is that nothing is
"supported".  What you get is the outcome of best endeavours, kind hearted
volunteers care to contribute.  Of course, if you have signed a support
contract with RHL things may be different.

--
Regards,
Mick