Hi,

I started emerge -e @world

and it stops with this message:

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
# /usr/portage/profiles/releases/17.0/package.mask:
# Andreas K. Huettel <dilfri...@gentoo.org> (27 May 2017)
# In the 17.0 profiles we assume that our system compiler uses C++14
# or later as default language setting. This means it has to be at
# least GCC 6. If you need an older compiler for specific purposes,
# feel free to unmask it, however, using it for normal emerging of
# packages is neither recommended nor supported in any way.
=sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0-r3
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
# /usr/portage/profiles/releases/17.0/package.mask:
# Andreas K. Huettel <dilfri...@gentoo.org> (27 May 2017)
# In the 17.0 profiles we assume that our system compiler uses C++14
# or later as default language setting. This means it has to be at
# least GCC 6. If you need an older compiler for specific purposes,
# feel free to unmask it, however, using it for normal emerging of
# packages is neither recommended nor supported in any way.
=sys-devel/gcc-4.9.4

For me it is unclear, whether I should unmask or mask these compilers.
So I added them to /etc/portage/package.mask/.  ,restarted the whole
thing only to get the same message.

So...from the logical point of view unmasking would be the correct
way....but we are all urged to >gcc-6.4.0 ... so unmasking would be
wrong...also from a logical point of view.

Cheers
Meino