On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 09:49:29PM +0000, Wols Lists wrote:

> > So in case I ever need to send in a drive for repair/replacement, noone can
> > read from it (or only in tiny bits'n'pieces from a hexdump), because each
> > disk contains a mix of data and parity blocks.
> >
> > I think I'm finally sold. :)
> > And with that, good night.
>
> So you've never heard of LUKS?

Sure thing, my laptop’s whole SSD is LUKSed and so are all my other home and
backup partitions. But encrypting ZFS is different, because every disk needs
to be encrypted separately since there is no separation between the FS and
the underlying block device.

This will result in a big computational overhead, choking my poor Celeron.
When I benchmarked reading from a single LUKS container in a ramdisk, it
managed around 160 MB/s IIRC. I might give it a try over the weekend before
I migrate my data, but I’m not expecting miracles. Should have bought an i3
for that.

> (Oh - and md raid-5/6 also mix data and parity, so the same holds true
> there.)

Ok, wasn’t aware of that. I thought I read in a ZFS article that this were a
special thing.

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

This is no signature.