C. Beamer schreef:
> Rumen Yotov wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 19:09 -0400, C. Beamer wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've had Gentoo installed on my main computer for about a month
>>> now and want to update world.
>>>
>>> When I did 'emerge --pretend --update --deep world'  I got told
>>> that a package that I had installed was blocking another package.
>>> I want to update but omit the blocked package from the update,
>>> which incidentally is not installed on my system.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Colleen
>>>

>> Hi, Think it mostly depends on which is the package in question.
>> Seen three types of package blocking: 1.a new version blocking the
>> old version of the same package - remove it then add again; 2.A new
>> package wants to install but there is another package serving the
>> same role, e.g mail-server: qmail, postfix, exim all provide -
>> virtual/mta (IIRC), so only one could get installed; 3.Think it's
>> your case. Some other package (which is installed) has a *new*
>> dependency on another one (not installed), which provides the same
>> 'virtual/...' as third one (installed). This could happen when
>> using -D/--deep flag - try without it to check and use -t/-tree
>> option to see the deps. But it depends on the package in question &
>> friends. HTH.Rumen
>>

> I went to the painstaking effort of updating each package on my
> system that required updating individually and am left with this,
> which is the result of 'emerge --pretend --update --deep world':
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done! [blocks B     ]
> <mail-client/pine-4.64-r1 (is blocking net-mail/uw-mailutils-2004g)
> [ebuild  N    ] net-mail/uw-mailutils-2004g [ebuild     U ]
> mail-client/pine-4.64-r1 [4.63-r2]
>
>> From this, I assume that the installed package, Pine, is blocking
>> the
> package nw-mail-utils-2004g, which is *not* installed.  So, how do I
> prevent uw-mailutils-2004g from being installed so I can update Pine?
>

> Regards,
>
> Colleen

You can't-- this is a normal block:

(from http://www.gentoo-portage.com )

Runtime Dependencies
pine-4.64-r1

    ! net-mail/uw-imap - 2004g
    >= sys-apps/sed - 4
    >= sys-libs/ncurses - 5.1
    ldap net-nds/openldap
    pam >= sys-libs/pam - 0.72
    ssl dev-libs/openssl
    app-misc/mimetypes
==>    net-mail/uwmailutils
    virtual/libc
    kerberos app-crypt/mitkrb5

The problem here is that 1) uwmailutils is a new dependency of Pine; 2)
dependencies must be installed before the program that depend on them
(just like you have to build the walls of your house before you put the
roof on, as the roof depends on the walls to hold it up); and 3) pine is
already installed (thus the program that depends on uwmailutils is
installed before what it depends on is installed, since Portage only
removes the previously installed version *after* the new version is
installed, which it can't be because its dependency can't be installed,
because the program that requires the dependency must be installed to
remove the currently-installed version).

If you see what I mean.

Remove (unemerge) Pine, then merge the updated version, so the
dependencies will be installed prior to the program they depend on.

HTH,
Holly