On P, 2017-12-10 at 08:56 +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:12 AM, R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.
> > uk> wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure Mick runs KDE, which requires both of those.
> > >

> > Eventually emerging @world will just pull in the entirety of the
> > Gentoo package repository, and we won't have to worry about what is
> > or
> > isn't necessary.
> >
> Not that I would object much to have gnome-common if I needed it (I
> don't), but it is a bit
> shocking that installing kde stuff pulls gnome stuff. After all,
> they're supposed to be alternative worldviews, er, desktop
> environments. Maybe the relevant people should stop and think whether
> unbridled complexity is a good idea?

So you are suggesting that each desktop environment must NIH
everything?

Want an auto-mounter and disk monitor and more for a modern desktop
experience - reimplement udisks.
Want a secure permissions handling framework for the desktop -
reimplement polkit.
Want a user account service handler for desktop logins - reimplement
accountsservice.
Want color profiles handling for monitors and co, and other associated
stuff - reimplement colord.
And so on.

That's all "GNOME stuff" by your definition, with GNOME Foundation
members being the project leaders or starters.

Meanwhile gnome-common is just a package for m4 macros for the older
autotools using world, and is deprecated in favor of autoconf-archive,
which had the good things of gnome-common integrated into it. Please
remove that package too, if you want to NIH.

People, this is open source. Stop advocating NIH and make use of the
benefits of open source and let the people actually doing stuff
collaborate on things and re-use/share projects as they see fit, for
less time waste and more making GNU/Linux (desktops) great over the
proprietary others.