On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:00:47 -0500,
Marc Joliet wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> [1.2  <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017, 10:45:41 CET schrieb Jörg Schaible:
>
> > Hi,
>

> > Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:07:08 -0500 schrieb John Blinka:

> > > emerge --skipfirst --resume
>

> > This is unfortunately really dangerous, because "emerge --resume" will
>
> > recalculate the order of the outstanding packages and you have no guarantee
>
> > that the first one will be the one that failed the last run. In that case
>
> > you skip an arbitrary package and you may increase your problems.
>

> > You can use --skipfirst only if you have restarted emerge with --resume only
>
> > and you have ensured that it will really continue with the failing package.
>
> > You may abort the build then with CTRL-C and restart emerge with both
>
> > options.
>
> That clashes with my understanding, so I looked it up, and it turns out I was
> right. From emerge(1):
>
> > --skipfirst
>

> > This option is only valid when used with --resume. It removes
>
> > the first package in the resume list. Dependencies are
>
> > recalculated for remaining packages and any that have
>
> > unsatisfied dependencies or are masked will be automatically
>
> > dropped. Also see the related --keep-going option.
>
> Note the "remaining dependencies" part. Otherwise, what would be the point of
> --skipfirst if it were so unpredictable?
>
> > > I had to do that several times in my 17.0 upgrades.
>

> > Maybe more times than necessary ;-)
>
> Really, sometimes I wonder why I keep seeing people on this list who clearly
> haven't heard of the --keep-going option. It's there for a reason. And don't
> tell me anybody actually *likes* having to manually continue the emerge
> process,
> because that's just so, so tedious.
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Jörg
>
> Greetings
>
> --
>
> Marc Joliet

I have been doing explicit packages as stated in another thread here
and I just delete all the lines before the one that fails.  I did not
want to use --keep-going because I really did want to fix things as
they came up, in case they might effect some packages further down on
the list.  What I did was to do
emerge -ep @world | awk '/ebuild/ {print "="$4}' >a

Once I had that a file, I just put emerge -1a before the first line
and put \ at the end of each line and I was off to the slow races!
Its been about a week with the bugs I had to research and the ebuilds
I had to patch, etc. but its going now and there is only 1-200
packages to go out of 1500 or so.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una