On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:57, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> I built myself an AMD64 based system a week ago using the following
> components:
>
> Albatron K8NF4U motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
> 1GB DDR Memory
> Albatron TC6200 video card
>
> Motherboard sensors indicate that the CPU core is running at a constant
> 65 degrees Celcius and this figure does not change more than a degree
> no matter what is being done, it only increased to 66 degrees C while
> doing a compile of xorg, kde and gnome which took a few hours.
>
> Should I be worried about these figures? The heatsink feels only
> slightly warm to the touch and I am sure it is seated correctly so I
> wonder if the BIOS is reporting the right temperatures. Does anyone have
> the same board that can help me out here?
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the
> "acceptable" temperature range for my CPU is?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jamie

I'm not an expert on AMD chips but that does seem quite high. With intensive
compiles I would expect to see the temp raising about 20 degrees or so,
depending on your fan and sink. How are you monitoring the temp?
through /proc/acpi/thermal? or just from the bios? Or are you lucky enough to
have a readout on your box?

--

/* Ugly, ugly fucker. */
        linux-2.6.6/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_limit.h