> And on that note I see that upstream just released 4.14.11 containing
> what is widely speculated as a fix for an Intel CPU security
> vulnerability.  I noticed that it doesn't disable the
> performance-impacting setting on AMD CPUs.  Though, right now only AMD
> could say whether this is necessary (their lkml post suggests it is
> not).  This is an upstream release - I don't know when Gentoo plans to
> release it.  I'm sure it will be making the rounds in the various news
> sites any day.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

"The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a
ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and
the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – specifically,
PCID <http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29935> – to reduce the
performance hit."

AMD coder's patch to disable the new code (to avoid the performance hit)
where he states the issue doesnt exist on AMD processors;
https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2