I found HFS & HFSPLUS file system support in the kernel so I'm
building that now.

There are also hfsutils and hfsplusutils but the later seems to be
masked in a way that I don't know how to get around:

lightning linux # emerge -pv hfsutils hfsplusutils

Calculating dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "hfsplusutils" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-fs/hfsplusutils-1.0.4 (masked by: missing keyword)
- sys-fs/hfsplusutils-1.0.4-r1 (masked by: missing keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
section 2.2 "Software Availability" in the Gentoo Handbook.

lightning linux # emerge -pv hfsutils

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-fs/hfsutils-3.2.6-r4  +tcltk 202 kB

Total size of downloads: 202 kB
lightning linux #

Thanks,
Mark