On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 00:15:03 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday, 8 January 2018 10:29:41 GMT Max Zettlmeißl wrote:
> > > How do you build the microcode into the kernel? The only
> > > place I can see to do that in menuconfig is under Device Drivers;
> > > there's no such field under Firmware.
> >
> > The Device Drivers section is exactly where the microcode is included.
> > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE is the relevant symbol.
>
> Right. So which of the 95 files under /lib/firmware/intel-ucode do I
> specify? That's in addition to the 14 files I have for my amdgpu.

There may be a cleverer way, but this is how I have been doing it.

Install sys-apps/iucode_tool.  Run:

# iucode_tool -S

It will report the microcode signature for your CPU.  For example, one of
mine:

iucode_tool: system has processor(s) with signature 0x000106e5

(Re)emerge sys-firmware/intel-microcode and capture all its output.  Then
search for the above signature, again from the same CPU, as an example, this
matches:

intel-ucode/06-1e-05
signature: 0x106e5    <==
flags:     0x13
revision:  0x07
date:      2013-08-20
size:      7168

Add the first line above in your CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE and rebuild your
kernel.

--
Regards,
Mick