On Friday, 12 January 2018 09:58:17 GMT Adam Carter wrote:
> > I replaced it with a USB3 drive, so I needed to update the udev rules
> > that automatically mount it and then "umount" it when it's removed.
>
> Pretty sure you'd risk filesystem corruption by not umounting before you
> remove the device. Did it used for force an fsck on each mount because the
> filesystem was "dirty"? If not, i have a fundamental misunderstanding of
> how this stuff works.

Yes, the sequence ought to be:

sync && umount /dev/<device> || eject /dev/<device>

I don't recall if eject includes the previous steps and therefore it is
superfluous.

I find some applications are reluctant to let go of filesystems on pluggable
devices and umount can fail.  In this case --lazy option of umount should
work:

umount -l /dev/<device>

--
Regards,