On 2018-01-26, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Grant Edwards
><grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm guessing that Android client support is going to be better with
>> Plex than with the others.
>>

> I know nothing of TVheadend.  MythTV on Android has always been kludgy
> at best, though I haven't touched it in two years.
>
> Plex on Android is a thing of beauty, especially with offline sync.

That's a big plus for Plex.

> For managing shows the web interface is still better than
> Android/Roku.

That's fine -- I prefer using a web browser for that sort of thing.
One of my complaints with MythTv and SageTv was that the web UIs for
backend configuration and recording scheduling were after-thought
add-on/plug-in kludges.  My current SageTv setup lacks a web ui
completely. :/

The config/scheduling UI for TvHeadend is purely web-based.

> That's the other thing - the Plex server/clients do a good job
> negotiating codecs, with the server doing all the transcoding.  You
> can pre-transcode files if you want to in order to reduce server load,
> such as if you have many Rokus you use at the same time.

Pre-transocoding from MPEG-2 TS to MPEG-4 h264 would be nice.

> When transcoding you do get a bit more latency, especially if you
> want to seek around a lot (no issue at all if you just hit play and
> watch the show) - you end up with bufferbloat on both the server and
> the client when you transcode.

When watching recorded TV shows, I do rely heavily on "jump forward
30s" and "jump back 5s" for manually skipping commercials.

> Still, it all just works, and it is no worse than Netflix/etc.  You
> can also configure quality rules for LAN vs WAN streaming, both on
> the clients and the server.

That's cool.

One open question is handling of closed-captioning in ATSC recordings.
Results with Plex seem to be mixed.

I think I'll try out Plex DVR this weekend and see how it works with
the Roku and Android frontends.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm definitely not
                                  at               in Omaha!